Built 1642 on Smith's Creek, Saint Mary's County. Removed to lot near present rectory,
Saint Mary's City. In 1695 the captial was removed from Saint Mary's City to Annapolis
and the state house came to be a place of Church of England worship.
In 1720 the General Assembly vested the state house and its grounds in the rectory and vestry of William and Mary Parish, and it became the chapel of the parish until 1829, when it was razed and the bricks used to build the resent church nearby, which in 1851 became the parish church of the newly created Saint Mary's Parish.